Can Business Really Be That Easy?
My wife is pregnant, and I figured that she might need a late night snack a couple of weeks ago. Truth be told, she was not that hungry, but I was up for some take out food! I convinced her to order something with me, and off I went. This was not a fast food restaurant, and had an above average menu.
I placed my order at the counter, and proceeded to sit down at one of the booths. It was half an hour before close, and I was the only patron left in the restaurant. There was a cook preparing my food, and one Manager/Owner.
The Manager caught my attention for the wrong reasons. He had a frown stapled to his face, and looked like he would rather have been anywhere else but there. This was not a young adult, it was somebody in their late 40’s/early 50’s who had probably been in business for some time. He seemed to be hovering behind the counter, watching the cook’s every more.
He walked right past me on two or three occasions as well, and never said one word.
I received my order a few minutes later and left.
I described my observations of what happened with the manager with my wife, and noted that he did not even say one word to me in an empty restaurant.
Her reply (grin included),
“Maybe you are expecting too much.”
Here is how I would have approached “myself” if I was the manager in that situation.
- “Hey, how are you today?”
- “Oh great! Have you been to our restaurant before? How was the food/service?”
- “Fantastic! Just to let you know that we are under new management, and are appreciative of your continued support.”
- “I will tell you what. Here are a few $5 off coupons for you and your friends to come by later. I would love if you help us spread the word! Thanks so much!”
Truth be told, I would have probably settled for,
“Hello, how are you today?”
But I am always trying to take things to the next level, and expect more than a simple hello!”
- What type of interaction (if any) would you have expected from the manager in that situation?
- How would you have interpreted his constant frown, hovering over the cook, and lack of interaction with me?
- The million dollar question…. was I expecting too much?