Great Sales Team – Yep They Still Exist!
Coming together is a beginning
Keeping together is progress
Working together is success – Henry Ford
As I reflect back on my sales career with 13+ years behind me now, so many people have played an integral part in getting me to where I am today. Without their leadership, mentorship, and most importantly friendship, I have no idea what would have become of me. I had the good fortune to work with a team for many years which was as close to perfect as I could have ever imagined.
The team members:
- Celebrated each other’s wins without jealousy. They were also sympathetic to their associates losses or challenges
- Helped each other as required, without hesitation
- Were not afraid to share selling success stories, or how they overcame challenges and defeats. It was not uncommon to share presentations that were successful, or bulletins for promotions.
- Identified the “it is all about me” behaviour within the group (on the rare occasion), and assisted in addressing it with management as soon as possible. This reduced negativity and problems within the team
- Valued time away together as a team to bond, to get to know each other better, and just have fun
- Had a great leader who motivated, inspired, coached and mentored everyone
- WE HAD FUN TOGETHER! (I may do a post some day about all the great stories that came from working with this group!)
The one point that I really have to stress about the people on this team is:
If any of the team members called me today asking for help, no matter where in the country they were living at the time, my response would be,
“What do you need, and do you need me to come to where you are?”
I think I would get the same response from them if I asked for help. We were not only colleagues, but also friends. We battled at work every day to be the best that we could be, and had a lot of fun along the way too.
It has been close to five years since I left that organization, and am I lucky to be as good friends with many of them today, as the day I left in 2007!
- What great teams have you been fortunate enough to be a part of?
- What was it about those teams that made them “a cut above the rest”?